English these past two years has been interesting. Even though I only realized it now, my writing has definetly improved. The purpose of this post is to explain how I have progressed as a writer. The following assignments I have chosen reflect well upon how my strengths and weaknesses were last year in 7th grade, compared to how they are now in 8th grade. 

image

You really can’t see it very well, but this is the assignemnt for 7th I chose to annotate. For this assignement, it was like you were a detective. You read a sypnopsis of what had happened before someone had been found dead; analyze the oicture and try to come up with a conclusion logically, that would make the most sense. Here you can see that I highlighted all, or most of my transitions, to bring attention to them. I thought they were quite bland and I even used one more than once; which isn’t a good thing. I also thought my introduction paragraph was rather lacking. It’s only two sentences and it kind of just cuts into the chase; gets into the main point quickly. I probably could’ve done more to add length and make it flow better. I also didn’t punctuate properly sometimes. The FLAGS outcome that came out of this would be Critical and Creative Thinkers because I had to creatively problem solve and think about what information was given. It was mainly having to analyze the image shown and come up with a conclusion that makes the most sense. Being an Effect Communicator can also be shown because I explained my reasoning for coming to my conclusion and made sure to prove it with evidence that strongly suggests.  

image

Here, I thought the transitions I used added more spice into my writing and used a wider variety of them. I also managed not to repeat any I have already used. My introductions have also improved, they seem to be more interesting I feel compared to before. Introducing the topic subtly that seems natural. There are less punctual errors found here as well. I was able to strengthen my past weaknesses as you could hopefully see with this peace. No awkward rushed intro here. Interesting variety of transitions to help spice it up as well. In this assignment, I was able to show being Global and Civic minded; as the FLAGS learning outcome. Since I addressed an important natural topic, in this case being toilet to tap, that was a local issue, I proved being Global and Civic minded. This can also represent being an effective communicator because I was defending my side of the argument while backing it up with evidence to prove my point. After analyzing the sources given to make up which side I’d want to go for.  

As an eighth grader, my weaknesses would be understanding the significance of using allusions in writings and usually I have a hard time with conclusions. Especially the last sentence since you have to come up with a way to tie everything together nicely. The task was to read various sources and come up with your own opinion on it all while backing up and supporting your claim with evidence. To improve, I could study more mythical and bible figures to try and understand what they mean when they use them. With conclusions, I could try to think of an idea that will be able to tie everything nicely together but it depends on what type of writing piece we’re doing; as they could be different. You could imagine there is a difference between a narrative conclusion and argumentative conclusions.