amartinez118, Mrs. Lepre

Expirement Gone Wrong?

image

So this week we read the story Flowers for Algernon and it was a sad, happy, interesting, and motivational story. When we were reading the story I noticed that people with mental disabilities are often mistreated. In the story, the main character Charlie is not as smart as his other “friends” and when Charlie would do something wrong they would laugh and make fun of him, poor Charlie wasn’t that smart and wondered what they laughed at, but he laughed along for fun. When someone would do something wrong or dumb they would say ” I pulled a Charlie Gordon” and they were just making fun of him and Charlie didn’t know that they were making fun of him, until Charlie was expire wanted on and he started realizing that his “friends” we’re making fun of him and he got really sad.

I have also seen this in real life before with kids that have special needs. Kids will sometimes make fun of their face because it’s not pretty they say it’s ugly and weird, but they don’t know how it feels like to be mistreated like that they should put themselves in their shoes and see how it feels and it doesn’t feel good. These kids with special needs are actually really smart I read one time that a kid with austism scored a 600 on a test verses a kid that does not have autism that’s really impressive.

1 Comment

1. ksalts

Great job amartinez118, I loved how you explained the story and how they feel in real life. What have you learned from reading this book?